Sunday, October 14, 2007

Oh No WriMo

Rats. I'm beginning to fret about NaNoWriMo, although I'm trying to put it out of my mind. I've read THE BOOK (up to the point where you are supposed to QUIT reading the book and save it for week one ...) and know that I shouldn't be planning until the last week of October. Still, weird ideas won't stay quiet and problems keep scratching away at my subconscious, begging to be solved.

For example -- how would a dwarf ride a bicycle? I keep seeing it in my mind, but the logistics of it just don't work. Shall I put giant springs on his feet, and have him able to walk around on them, too (just for fun) ... or should I change it to a unicycle ... or both? These are major problems. I want to find a bicycle and sit in front of it in full lotus, meditating on how it could be ridden by a dwarf. (Unfortunately my own bicycle is no longer with us, having been traded by Dari and me some time ago for safe passage out of foreign parts. It was a great bike.)

I keep jotting phrases and thoughts down on post-it notes and in my little pocket reporter-style Moleskine. Sometimes, though, by the end of the day, I'm not sure what my own notes mean. Like, the other day I found a pink post-it note with the word "mimsy" scrawled on it with exclamation points. Exclamation points? It must have been important, but ....what was it ....???? Eek!!! The pink post it note went on the bathroom mirror, and three days later I remembered that I'd considered using it as a character's name.

Later that day I ran the idea by Dari:

Dari: "Oh, you mean like in the movie?"
Lila: "What movie?"
Dari: "The Last Mimzy."
Lila: "When did you see that? I never heard of it."
Dari: "When I was in the ... well, you know .... when I was away."
Lila: "Rats. That means the name is taken. It's been done. No good! I was thinking about the Jabberwocky poem, and that's where the word came from. Of course he was talking about borogoves and I'm talking about a person."
Dari: "Well, you can still use it."
Lila: "Nope. Somebody else got there first."

Today in the movie store I see that the title of the movie is The Last Mimzy -- spelled with a "Z" .... Mimsy spelled with an "S" may be back on the table.

You get the idea of how things are going for me these days. I stand in uffish thought. A lot.

3 comments:

Dari Malapert said...

Oh, my. I think you should take one of my pills. They really help.

a lot.

And just think - what if someone writing a book said...hmmm...I know that someone has used the name "Alex" somewhere before - therefore I cannot use it. What would all the really cool detectives be named, then?

Think about it.

Lila Malapert said...

True. Could I have a 2 to 3 book a year run on the way, too?

Coooool.

Lila Malapert said...

Jeez. I just got my own comment in my e-mail box and it didn't make any sense at all. Yep. A well written novel is in MY future....

(....mumbled the melancholy munchkin....)